Today is International Left-Handers Day.
What is that, you ask? Well, it’s a day to celebrate us one-of-a-kind people! Well, not really. There are nearly 30 million lefties in the U.S.
Right-handers are great too…but I am about to share a list of interesting facts that prove we lefties are p-r-e-t-t-y cool:
- We can fight! Apparently, a study shows that lefties have the upper hand in a fight due to the “element of surprise”.
- We access both hemispheres of our brain.
- We excel in fencing (where’s my sword!).
- We adjust to seeing underwater quicker.
And #5, my favorite, lefties are more likely to be geniuses.
What? I got this information from MSNBC! It’s gotta be true!
Although being a lefty is exciting, there are cons:
- Most desks are right-handed desks.
- Our check marks are backwards!
- We MUST turn either our hand or the entire paper we are writing on, leaving us looking as though we have never written before in our lives.
- Ink always smears on the side of our hand.
- We are more likely to have mental disorders.
Okay. I don’t like that last one. I’m going to need more proof than one survey.
So there you have it. The pros and cons of being a lefty.
Here’s an idea: In honor of Lefty Day, I challenge all righties to use their left hands for the rest of the day.
Ready. Set. Good luck!